Construction of new office building Obere Waldplätze 12,Stuttgart
Drees & Sommer
SCD Architekten Ingenieure GmbH
07/2017 - 12/2021
Since autumn 2019, Drees & Sommer’s new company building – which meets all modern requirements for eco-friendliness and digitization – has been taking shape at its headquarters precinct in Stuttgart-Vaihingen. The in-house construction project offers a unique opportunity for the company to test promising future construction technologies and gain valuable insights for customer projects. Drees & Sommer is therefore implementing numerous pioneering and innovative technologies in the building, with the related services being almost exclusively provided in-house. For this reason, the key success factor for the construction project is the wide range of services offered by Drees & Sommer, all of which are jointly involved in the realization of this future-oriented project. In-house services are complemented by the valuable know-how of various customers and business partners, who are collaborating with Drees & Sommer to advance key innovative aspects of the project.
As an energy-plus building, the new company headquarters building is fully aligned with Drees & Sommer’s climate-positive philosophy: By combining different energy solutions, the building will generate more energy than it consumes during standard operation. In addition to workplaces for around 200 employees, the new building – which is around 20 meters high and 70 meters long – includes a flexible conference area, various meeting rooms, a cafeteria, a large canteen, an underground car park, and covered bicycle parking spaces. The building’s mobility concept provides for charging stations for electric vehicles, as well as car-sharing and a parking management system. Numerous digital technologies are also used in the building itself, which will make life easier for employees, customers and service providers in later operation. Features include access authorization, conference room booking, and automated temperature and light setting in the offices.
- Energy surplus building thanks to hybrid energy supply: Combination of geothermal and air source heat pumps, as well as photovoltaic elements both on the roof and integrated into facade and glazing elements
- Innovative, modular facade design that meets stringent sound and thermal insulation requirements while minimizing panel thickness
- Customized Smart Building: Digitization and automation of later operation of the building using a wide range of digital technologies
- Sustainability and low waste generation of the entire building through Cradle to Cradle design and auditing of all building materials for factors such as origin, recyclability and separability
- Increased efficiency on the construction site thanks to the use of premodularized components and the first-ever combined use of both LCM Digital and BIM (Level 2) digital planning methods
Overall, OWP12 is a unique showcase building in which Drees & Sommer tests and demonstrates numerous future construction technologies, paving the way for use by their customers in the future.