Construction of new community school in Filderstadt
City of Filderstadt
Behnisch Architekten, Stuttgart
April 2015 – September 2021
Approx. 9,500 m²
The new school building in Filderstadt is the main project in the further development of the school campus. The aim was to upgrade the architecture and adapt it to the requirements of a new educational concept featuring all-day school care.
Drees & Sommer supported the client with a feasibility study and variant analysis when the project was first being considered back in 2015. The team was then awarded a follow-up contract to manage the subsequent architectural competition and planner selection process. The specification for the architectural competition, which was won by Behnisch Architekten, envisaged a new building for the two-tier Gotthard-Müller-Schule primary and common schools, extensions to the Fleinsbachschule (secondary school), and a cafeteria for use by all the schools – all integrated into a single school campus. The construction project, which had a focus on sustainability, featured an eco-friendly overall concept, open-plan design of the building, a barrier-free outdoor area, and its own inclusion rooms.
From the start of construction in January 2018, the project managers were responsible both for the construction processes and user coordination. The difficult subsoil, tight schedule and close proximity of the building sites posed challenges for all project participants.
Construction work on the new building was completed in May 2020. The final stages of the project, the school start and its official inauguration followed in the months of the Covid pandemic.
- The eco-friendly overall concept for the new building not only cut construction costs, but will also have a positive long-term impact on energy consumption.
- The open design of the building, the wheelchair-accessible outdoor facilities and the shared spaces foster inclusion and participation.
- Feasibility study/variant analysis with lifecycle costs
- Management of architectural competition
- Specialist planner selection
- Project management based on AHO (Fee Structure Committee of the Associations and Chambers of Engineers and Architects)
- User coordination
- Relocation management